Rage Against the Machine (or RATM or Rage) is a band that formed Los Angeles, California around 1991. They are best known for their exotic sounds in their songs. It is said that guitarist Tom Morello was in a bar whilst frontman/rapper Zack De La Rocha was freestyling on the stage and decided to choose him to be the frontman of a new band. (Tom previously had just broken up with his band Lock Up) Zack introduced Tom to his friend Tim Commerford the band's soon-to-be bassist. (Or Timmy C.) The only thing left was a drummer, so Tom called a drummer who previously auditioned for Lock Up Brad Wilk.
Sound[edit | edit source]
Seeing how Zack De La Rocha is a rapper, Rage's songs are a fusion of rap, metal, and trace funk influences. Tom wanted to be somewhat of the band's DJ. By messing around with various effects pedals (Notably the Digitech Whammy pedal) and adding whammy bar and pickup selector Tom has created one of the most unique arsenal of sounds in the rock industry.
Lyrical Content[edit | edit source]
Zack De La Rocha is also the lyricist for Rage Against The Machine. Zack writes about social injustice, racism, pretty much real-world political problems. He uses repetition and head-pounding rhythm to beat the meaningful lyrics inside your head. (especially in Killing in the Name where he repeats 5 phrases throughout the entire song.)
Contributions to Guitar Hero[edit | edit source]
- Killing in the Name - Guitar Hero II, Guitar Hero Live (GHTV)
- Bulls on Parade - Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, Guitar Hero Live (GHTV )
- Guitar Battle vs. Tom Morello - Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Technically not a RATM song but was performed by Tom Morello of RATM. Tom Morello is an unlockable character after beating him.)
- Guerrilla Radio - Guitar Hero Live (GHTV)
- Sleep Now in the Fire - Guitar Hero Live (GHTV)